clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

REPORTS: Shannon takes suspension battle to court, sues University of Illinois

The Illini star is looking to end his indefinite suspension.

TCR // Craig Pessman

According to multiple reports Monday night, Illinois’ star guard Terrence Shannon Jr. is taking the University of Illinois Board of Trustees to court in hopes to end his indefinite suspension and return to the basketball team.

Illinois suspended Shannon indefinitely last month after he was charged with rape in Douglas Co., Kansas in an incident tied to his visit to the state when Illinois’ football team played in Lawrence in September.

In a complaint obtained by several news outlets, including The News Gazette and WCIA-TV, Shannon’s legal team filed the complaint Monday in Champaign County.

The complaint says Shannon “maintains his innocence” and that the university has “served as judge, jury, and executioner” by suspending him indefinitely on Dec. 28, 2023.

His legal team says Shannon has not been afforded “any due process, despite Illinois’ obligations and promises to do so.”

Through the lawsuit, Shannon’s attorneys say they seek a temporary restraining order that would allow him to be immediately reinstated. If a judge were to hear the case Tuesday or Wednesday, Shannon would conceivably be able to return to the court for No. 10 Illinois on Thursday against Michigan State.

“We’ve enjoyed watching Terrence this season,” said Illinois athletic director Josh Whitman on Dec. 29. “In moments like this, we have to understand that basketball must take a back seat. As a university, we have to take these allegations seriously. That’s what we’re doing.”

The Champaign Room has reached out to Shannon’s legal team via phone and email, but requests for comment were not immediately responded to.

Shannon’s first court appearance in Douglas Co. is set for Jan. 18.