Illinois improved its record to 2-0 after last Saturday’s 31-23 win against UConn.
Smith’s comments on the Uconn game:
- “Can’t say that (improvements) were totally the case with us after the game.”
- “You want your football team to go through adversity to see exactly who we are.”
- “We’ll clean those things up.” Smith said in regards to the penalty calls on Saturday.
- “Dele Harding, quarterback of the defense, big interception for him.”
- “Too many passing yards, but the takeaways and no big plays are the goal. We had more plays/takeaways out there though. Still too many yards in the passing game.”
- Down 13-0 on the road, I mean there’s a sense of picking up tempo of course. That’s what I saw from my football team, it’s as simple as that.”
- “There was no panic when we fell behind” said Rod Smith, “and I was really proud of our guys for that.”
As far as expectations for this Saturdays game against Eastern Michigan, Smith said “A 3-0 record is where we want to be.”
- “It’s all about Eastern Michigan this week.”
- “Wole has been outstanding with his play,” said Lovie, “when you lead the country in sacks, you should talk about him.”
- A far as what Illinois needs, offensive line coach Rod Smith said, “We need to be able to play four quarters, not two quarters.”
- Talking about the offense’s clear struggles Saturday and how to turn that around this week, Rod smith said, “We need to play better as a unit than what we did on Saturday.”
- “This will be the toughest team on our schedule to date,” said Rod Smith, “this team is legit.”
For some players that we won’t see:
- “I hope we’ll have Reggie Corbin back.” who Illinois fans were surprised to not see on Saturday, but he is still questionable for this weeks game.
- “Sydney Brown is getting better, progressing.” After his serious hamstring injury that occurred during training camp.