Here’s the first sentence (or sentences) of each of our recaps at TCR this season.
Week 1: Illinois 42, Akron 3
- Another blowout at Memorial Stadium, except this time it goes in Illinois’ favor.
Week 2: Illinois 31, UCONN 23
- Sept. 15, 2007 at Syracuse. The Orange and Blue defeated the Orange, 41-20. Then, Illinois didn’t win another non-conference road game until Saturday.
Week 3: EMU 34, Illinois. 31
- Too little too late for Illinois.
Week 4: Nebraska 42, Illinois 38
- That’s not the way you want to start off conference play.
Week 6: Minnesota 40, Illinois 17
- Same game, different stadium. A defense that can’t stop the run. An ineffective offense. And some questionable coaching at the end of the first half.
Week 7: Michigan 42, Illinois 25
- When asked about Illinois’ current situation compared to his own in the 1960s, legendary linebacker Dick Butkus offered a bit of advice for the Illini players: “You can get your ass beat, but you can let them know, ‘That’s a hell of a team.’” Well, they definitely got their asses beat, but they never gave up.
Week 8: Illinois 24, Wisconsin 23
- James McCourt says he couldn’t breathe at the bottom of the pile.
Week 9: Illinois 24, Purdue 6
- So you’re saying there’s a chance.
Week 10: Illinois 38, Rutgers 10
- Illinois finally woke up in third quarter. Now, they have a chance at a bowl game.
Week 11: Illinois 37, MSU 34
Week 13: Iowa 19, Illinois 10
- If anything, the game was more competitive than last year’s edition in Champaign.
Week 14: Northwestern 29, Illinois 10
- A year ago, Illinois’ last home game was a heartbreaking loss. This year, Illinois ended its season with another loss, only this one was a different type of heartbreak.