It’s finally summer, and The Champaign Room is planning its coverage for August and beyond!
In order to continue making The Champaign Room the best place on the Internet for free Illinois Fighting Illini coverage, analysis and discussion, we’re looking to expand our staff.
We’re happy to talk with anyone interested in contributing to the site, whether you’re a current University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign student or a Fighting Illini fan who has a passion for Illinois!
We have a lot of different jobs that we want your help on! Those jobs include:
- Writing columns about Illinois Fighting Illini Football and Men’s Basketball.
- Writing columns about Football and Men’s Basketball recruiting, as well as following that closely on social media.
- Running our social media channels on Facebook, Twitter and potentially Instagram and Snapchat!
- Helping promote The Champaign Room brand via coordinating merchandise sales.
- Contribute on our podcast channel, The TCR Podcast.
- Create video content for The Champaign Room’s social media channels.
- Covering a beat (limited to UIUC students in the Fall 2018 and beyond). Here we are looking for an on-campus Illinois student who can cover sports (i.e. football, men’s basketball, volleyball, wrestling, women’s basketball, softball, baseball, other sports) as a credentialed journalist.
Here’s what we’re looking for in potential staff members:
- Ability to write, research, and develop story ideas without much “hand-holding” or supervision.
- Comfort using social media to find story ideas, engage with readers, and promote TCR content on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
- Passion for Illinois athletics.
- Ability to meet mutually agreed-upon deadlines.
- Time commitment to attend home games and cover the team like a professional journalist (if covering a beat).
If your background and experience don’t perfectly align with every single thing we’re looking for — but you believe you have the potential to thrive in a role — we encourage you to apply.
If you have a journalism or writing background, that’s awesome. If not, that’s fine, too. If you’re passionate and knowledgeable about Illini athletics and interested in helping, we’ll find a role for you. These potentially could be paid positions as well.
Anyone interested should send a writing sample (preferably about the Fighting Illini), resume (or short essay of why you’re interested) and your Twitter handle (if you have one) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Come help us make one of the best Illinois Fighting Illini sites on the web even better!
This is an ongoing application process.
If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to reach out to me via email or Twitter!
The Champaign Room Site Manager