Illinois baseball season is underway, and while the team is off to a mediocre 6-7 start, it's nice to have the smell of the outfield grass in the air again. The team will begin Big Ten play in Champaign on March 25th against Penn State, and while there's no such thing as college fantasy baseball, there certainly is for MLB.
If you're a long-time reader of TCR, you might remember a previous fantasy baseball league that was created for the 2013 season. You might also remember that I finished second in that league (or maybe that's just me). Well, The Champaign Room is starting up a new fantasy league and are inviting you, the Champaigniacs of the world, to join.
We won't be playing for any prize, but if you want to join then just say so in the comments!
As for the league settings, things can (and probably will) change depending on how much interest there is, but here's a few loose guidelines:
- The scoring has not yet been determined; be sure to vote below and/or on the ESPN league page as to which scoring system you'd like to use. I'm open to any suggestions.
- It'll be a daily roster set, meaning you can change your lineup every day before the players' individual games start
- We'll use a pretty basic set of scoring categories. This league is meant to be for fun, so don't worry, the categories won't be "isolated power + slugging and OBP" or anything ridiculous like that. Only potential change I'm considering making is switching out wins for quality starts.
- A specific draft date and time hasn't been determined yet, but I'd ideally like to do it the week of March 28 through April 1st. That will bring us the closest to the start of the regular season and allow people the most time to prepare.
- The invites will be on a first come, first serve basis. We can have up to 20 teams in the league, but once you hit 18-20 teams the player pool starts to get really deep and will subsequently require more research prior to the draft. Just let us know in the comments below if you're interested and we'll send you the invite. Once (or if) we hit 20, we'll have to cut it off.