- First start of the season for WR Sam Mays, who caught the game-winning touchdown last week. He started once in 2015.
- First career start for redshirt freshman CB Cameron Watkins. He is the 27th first-time starter for the Illini this season.
- Illinois started four freshmen on defense: DT Kenyon Jackson, FS Stanley Green, SS Patrick Nelson, CB Cameron Watkins
- Redshirt-freshman QB Jeff George Jr. started for the fourth straight game.
- Senior Des Carroll Phillips and Duwaune Smoot combined for 3.0 TFLs in the game pushing their combined season total to 29.5. The duo entered the game with a combined 26.5 TFLs, the most of any duo in the FBS.
- Senior QB Wes Lunt returned from an injury to start for the first time since Oct. 8. Lunt started the second half and finished the game 2-for-8 for 22 yards.
- Junior WR Malik Turner returned after missing the Michigan State game with an injury. He caught one pass for 12 yards and has at least one catch in 25 of his last 26 games.
- Consecutive starts extended dating back to 2015: Christian DiLauro 29, Dawuane Smoot 22
Highlights: Wisconsin Badgers 48, Illinois Fighting Illini 3
Here are the best plays from Saturday’s game.