Illinois News & Links
- The 2014-15 Fighting Illini Athletics season is over. The women's track and field team wrapped up the university's athletic calendar at the 2015 NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships. The countdown to football has officially begun.
- Spencer Allen hired by Northwestern. The Illini baseball assistant has been named the Wildcats' next head coach. Allen originally came to Illinois after a two-year stint with Creighton as an associate head coach and recruiting coordinator (Link).
- Williams named MVP of All-Star Game, Jordan leaves with injury. The Illini freshman scored 33 points in Illinois Basketball Coaches Association's Class 3A/4A All-Star game. Fellow Illini Aaron Jordan also participated in the event, but he was forced to leave after suffering an apparent knee injury--it doesn't appear to be too serious.
- Spears commits to Illinois football. West Aurora's Drake Spears, a three-star safety in the class of 2016, gave a verbal commitment to the Illini on Friday (Link).
- Ex-Illini football staffer sentenced for gun violation. Matt Sinclair has been sentenced to 18 months of probation and 100 hours of community service. He was arrested in November 2013 exiting Interstate 74 after pointing an unloaded gun out his truck window at a vehicle carrying several co-workers (Link).
Professional News & Links
- Blackhawks are one win away from the Stanley Cup. The Hawks could win the Cup on Monday night in Chicago after another thrilling victory over the Lightning (Link).
- Bulls hire Spurs' Jim Boylen as associate head coach. Fred Hoiberg has reportedly tabbed the San Antonio assistant to fill the first opening on his staff (Link).
- Golden State takes 3-2 lead over Cleveland. The Warriors took down the Cavs on Sunday night despite another heroic effort from LeBron James (Link).