It's football time! We are now a couple of weeks into spring practice, which all builds to tomorrow, the spring game. The spring game lets us see some new developed players and early freshman in live game action. We also get to see what players have made a leap and what to expect come fall. Here is the current spring two deep. This depth chart is just my opinions, and it will be revised before the season.
|Running Back||Josh Ferguson|
|Wide Receiver No. 1||Geronimo Allison|
|Wide Receiver No. 2 (slot)||Malik Turner|
|Wide Receiver No. 3||Justin Hardee|
|Right Tackle||Christian DiLaurio|
|Right Guard||Pat Flavin|
|Left Guard||Nick Allegretti|
|Left Tackle||Austin Schmidt|
|Defensive End||Jihad Ward|
|Paul James III|
|Defensive Tackle No. 1||Jarrod Clements|
|Defensive Tackle No. 2||Rob Bain|
|Middle Linebacker||TJ Neal|
|Outside Linebacker||Mason Monheim|
|Free Safety||Clayton Fejedelem|
|Strong Safety||Taylor Barton|
|Kick Returner||V'Angelo Bentley|
- For now I have Malik Turner taking over the slot in the absence of Mikey Dudek. Zach Grant is a more true slot receiver, but I think Turner is athletic enough to be in the starting role there.
- Ted Karras had surgery on his ACL. He will take over at right guard when he returns, and be the anchor of the offensive line. This could move Pat Flavin over to left guard, and he might start over the younger Nick Allegreti. Also, look for incoming freshman Gabe Megginson to challenge for a starting role.
- Teko Powell was injured for much of last year and is still injured. He will take over for either Chunky Clements or Rob Bain at defensive tackle. My guess is that will be Rob Bain.
- Eric Finney and James Crawford are battling it out for the starting STAR spot. This will most likely continue right up until the start of the season. For now I went with Eric Finney because he is the older player.
- Jaylen Dunlap received a medical redshirt last season, and still isn't quite up to game speed. He will be the 5th corner in Saturday's game, but he will be battling with Dayvontay Kwaaning for the 4th corner spot. Either way they will both get a lot of playing time at the cornerback position.
- David Reisner is the kicker I have, but it is really a toss up. Reisner and Taylor Zalewski switched back and forth last year, and expect that continue up until the season. Chase McLaughlin (Kickers Are People Too) could also be in the mix.
And to get you even more ready for the Spring Game: