John Groce's Press Conference:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NF3f9aMlHGo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
- (5:20) According to Groce, the most important things heading into the Spring are "competitiveness and selflessness." This is pretty much a direct reference to the team's last three games.
- (6:25) We've known about it for awhile, but there was confirmation that the team will be traveling overseas this Fall to play in Belgium and France. It should be a good opportunity for Tracy Abrams and Michael Finke to get re-acclimated to the game after sitting out the 2014-15 season; the incoming recruiting class will also be making the trip.
- (10:00) Groce hinted that the team had some chemistry problems throughout the year. That confirms some of the message board rumors that have been floating around for the past few months.
- (13:25) Groce was noncommittal when asked if everyone would be back next year. He went on to say that he'll meet with each individual player over the next few weeks to determine what's best in each case. Illinois currently has one open scholarship for the 2015-16 season as it stands today.
- (15:20) Groce said that players need to step up and fill leadership roles this offseason. The staff is heading into year four and the only clear-cut leader on the team is Tracy Abrams. That's less than ideal.
- (16:25) Darius Paul, Maverick Morgan, Michael Finke, Austin Colbert, and Leron Black will comprise the front court, but it's possible the staff could add a fifth-year big man. The open scholarship is truly a 'X-factor' as the program heads into the offseason.
- (21:40) "People (fans) care a great deal; would much rather have that be the case than apathy." It sounds like Groce fully understands that the on-court results need to be better next season.