I know that when it comes to both football and basketball, things aren't quite where we Illini fans would like things to be. Basketball is on the way back, but football has a much longer way to go. Still, athletics aren't everything a college has to offer, and when it comes to other areas there really aren't many better schools than Illinois.
I know this because it was recently announced that Illinois was the tenth-best public university in the nation. Illinois smartens people up good. But the fact the school offers a high-quality education isn't its only redeeming quality.
There's also this.
The Princeton Review released its 2014 edition of "The Best 378 Colleges" book Monday, which includes the lists of the Top 20 party schools and the Top 20 sober schools.
TOP 20 PARTY SCHOOLS
1. University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa
2. University of California, Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, Calif.
3. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, Ill.
4. West Virginia University, Morgantown W. Va.
5. Syracuse University, Syracuse, N.Y.
6. University of Florida, Gainesville, Fla.
7. Ohio University, Athens, Ohio
8. University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, Wis.
9. Penn State University, University Park, Pa.
10. Lehigh University, Bethlehem, Pa.
11. University of Georgia, Athens, Ga.
12. Florida State University, Tallahassee, Fla.
13. DePauw University, Greencastle, Ind.
14. University of Mississippi, University, Miss.
15. University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas
16. Miami University of Ohio, Oxford, Ohio
17. University of Maryland, College Park, Md.
18. Tulane University, New Orleans, La.
19. University of Vermont, Burlington, Vt.
20. University of Oregon, Eugene, Ore.
We're number three! We're number three! We're number thr....(is dropped while doing a keg stand).
Seriously, though, a good education and good parties. What the hell else could you want in a school? This should be a major part of the recruiting pitch to all players.