I've been a college football fan since I was a kid. From as early as I can remember my Saturday mornings would consist of cartoons and college football. Now, full disclosure here, I was not an Illinois fan growing up in Chicago. The Illini just weren't on television enough in Chicago then, so it was hard for a kid to keep up. I actually grew up rooting for Notre Dame.
Of course, as I got older and college football showed up on television a lot more often, I began following Illinois because it was my state school. My love for the program wouldn't truly develop until 2001 when I moved from Chicago to Champaign.
That year the Illini would go to the Sugar Bowl, and in my first season on campus I had a BCS football program to root for. I was hooked from that point on.
Admittedly, it hasn't been that easy. There have been many more downs than ups since that point, but I'm still here. I'm not going anywhere. But while I'm here, I want to know why you support the Illini. What is it about this school and this team that you love so much?
Hyundai wants to know too, and they would like to reward you for your loyalty to the orange and blue. SB Nation is promoting the Hyundai Fanthropology Series about fan loyalty and dedication. Here's how the contest works.
1. Leave a comment below this post explaining what makes you a loyal and dedicated Illini fan.
2. By Monday November 2 I will read through all the comments on the post on the post and choose what I feel is the best one. Will I accept bribes? Well, there's only one way to find out, dear readers.
3. After choosing a winner I will contact that winner via email and we'll have a discussion about your fan loyalty. After I've figured you out and what makes you tick, I'm going to write a post about you and your love of the Illini here on The Champaign Room.
4. You will then compete with the winners of the other college football blogs. If you are selected you will then win a trip to any college football game or bowl game of your choice. It doesn't even have to be an Illinois game. If you want to go to Miami for the title game in January then Hyundai will pay for your tickets, airfare and hotel to get you there. Seriously. And all you have to do is leave a comment.
5. DISCLAIMER: Only one entry per blog will be allowed. So if you leave a comment here about being a great Illinois fan and then head over to Black Heart Gold Pants and profess your love for the Hawkeyes, your Illinois entry will be the one that is judged. Also, you aren't very likely to win considering you've professed love for two teams. That just doesn't seem very loyal.
So leave your comments below, and good luck. If you win I won't even force you to take me to the game with you. Though you should at least make the offer. It's the polite thing to do.
By commenting below, you are subject to and accept the terms and conditions of the Hyundai Fanthropology Sweepstakes.